Sunday, June 8, 2008

Good Karma People.



Okay so there's this dude I'm cool with. I knew him from a show, then from a joint venture, and now we're just cool. We dont speak often, but when we do its nothing but good vibes. Anyway he has a mixtape (which I suggest everyone take a listen to) named Comeback Season. Heavy rotation for like a year on everyones Ipod. But the initial reason we vibed was due to fashion.I noticed by browsing Myspace, dude can dress. Just chopping it up I asked Drake whats his style? How do you like to dress? He responds "Its not really a style, I just dress how I feel." He said some other real swaggerfied statement, but in a nutshell, you get the picture. With an album coming (when these A&Rs stop playing) and some close affiliations with Patron, be on the lookout for The Couture Group's "Mans and 'Em", Drake. Yeah man.


Check the interview with Corporate Takeover Magazine..

CORPORATE TAKEOVER: I’ve heard the album is going to be an independent release, which is surprising since you had every major label trying to sign you. Are you still going for an independent release?
DRAKE: Not necessarily. I’m working towards a couple of different situations. I just have to find the right setup. I want it to come out with the right cosign and at the right time. It’s not 100% concrete that it’s going to be independent, but even if it is, it’ll still be available like every other album. It’s nothing to worry about for anybody who plans to get it.

CT: Record sales have been declining rapidly over the last couple of years. That must concern you from a business perspective. How do you plan on surviving the drought?
DRAKE: Well, I do the acting thing, I do music, and I also have other talents such as writing for other artists and stuff like that. So in terms of staying afloat financially, I just explore other avenues. I’m getting into the fashion side of things now. One of my best friends works for a clothing company called Ransom in Toronto.

CT: Is that Oliver?
DRAKE: Yeah, Oliver. That’s pretty much my brother. That’s one of my closest boys, and he really does his thing. They own probably one of the biggest fashion movements here, which is like Goodfoot, Ransom, and they just opened a Stussy store last week.

I’m really not worried about droughts. I make genuine music, so I’m not just something for right now. As times change, I have always been OK with adapting to my surroundings and just trying to make it happen. So I’m not necessarily worried about industry droughts. Plus, I have a strong viral movement on the internet. The internet isn’t going anywhere, so I’m not worried about it.

CT: A common factor among all major rap artists is branding. Each artists has that one thing that sets them apart or a subculture that they identify with. Kanye has his eclectic style, Pharrell is somewhat eccentric, and Lupe has his skateboard. Is that something you actively think about as a new artist?
DRAKE: Yeah, I think it’s important to give everyone something to latch on to. Especially when you are talking about a commercial market in terms of monetizing your career and generating profit from it. It’s important to brand yourself with something. For me, I think it’s just being young, man. That’s a great thing. I just turned 21. To be young, to be fly, and to be well-spoken. I pride myself on those things. Hopefully, whatever I attach myself to, whether it be a clothing line or whatever, people will say, “If Drake is messing with it, then it’s something legit.”

I don’t have a gimmick, and I’m not saying that Lupe’s thing is a gimmick or anything like that, but I don’t really have a story like that for people. I just have a lifestyle. I think Drake, ATF, and the music that I make is a lifestyle. And I think that it coincides with a lot of the best in the game. People like Wayne, Jay, Pharrell, and Kanye. They all embody a lifestyle that people want to live. So I’m just trying to do that same thing for a younger generation.



It’s OK to be 21, be about your business, and be about your grind. And not necessarily be on some thuggy, thuggy bullshit, you know? You can be educated and still be cool, basically. That’s what I’m trying to put forth.

Website:http://www.allthings-fresh.net/
Myspace: www.myspace.com/thisisdrake
Download the Mixtape (Highly Recommend It):http://www.sendspace.com/file/4ro5oi

1 comment:

Rebecca V. O'Neal said...

ahhh- i LOVE drake.... I never watched Degrassi, but my sister said he was in a wheelchair in that show.

ANYWHO - even since 'replacement girl' i've been a fan ... 'closer to my dreams' is some real shyt too